Friday 15 June 2012

Last time I was at home in Dublin, about 2 weeks ago, I had the chance to shoot with photographer Gareth Byrd. I've been a huge fan of his work for a long time so was thrilled when we started corresponding regarding working together. The shoot took place on an unused dairy farm in North Co. Dublin. It was fantastic! The place was full or interesting nooks and crannies, brightly painted rooms that had fallen into glorious decay, old barns stacked to the roof with wooden crates, and artfully mould-dappled walls. I found some pretty cool creepy crawlies too, including a zebra-striped spider eating a fly, and an abandoned butterfly caccoon that I took with me to show to my 4-year-old nephew.
The location

"Zebra" spider eating lunch 

Insects, spiders and other bugs have always fascinated me, ever since I was little. As a child, I hated that I was a girl and went out of my way to be a boyish as possible. That included shunning dolls and girly toys of all kinds (except Polly Pockets, they were too much fun), loving anything to do with insects and dinosaurs, demanding my hair be cut short,  and wearing dungarees and little Dr Martens constantly. My Mam likes reminding me how anytime she tried to put me in a dress I'd get sick all over it so I wouldn't have to wear it!! What a delightful child I was!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Gareth had a lighting assistant on hand for the day named Michelle who was an absolute dote and even brought along a picnic for us :) 

Yummy

We got a huge amount done in a very short amount of time. We had about 3 hours to prep and shoot as everyone was quite restricted timewise, but we got an impressive amount of poses, looks and locations shot. Gareth used a combination of natural and artificial light, to wonderful effect. I kept my makeup simple and natural to start with as the focus was on the posing and composition, and then added red lipstick and dark eye makeup later on for some portrait shots. I am so delighted with what we managed to achieve, and absolutely adore the results. Gareth was fantastic to work with, encouraging, relaxed, knowledgeable and fun. Michelle was a complete sweetheart and I hope I get the chance to work with both of them again in the future. 

Here are the shots, can't choose a favourite!










No comments:

Post a Comment